Search This Blog

YouTube

Facebook

Instagram

Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, May 11, 2014

My $0.02 on the Clarisonic Skin Cleansing System


A few years ago, when the Clarisonic first came out, I was horrified by the idea. The idea of using a giant electronic tooth brush on my face sounded terrible. Our teeth is the strongest bone in our entire body, but our skin is delicate. How can it withstand a giant electronic tooth brush? About two years after it came out, one Christmas I had the Sephora VIB 20% coupon. I saw the colourful Mia2's hanging around at the back of the store, and the pink one was so cute! I went over the stroked the brush, seems much softer than my tooth brush! Therefore I gave it a chance and brought it home.


The one you see above is not the Mia2. It is a first generation Mia. It was a gift I received while I was in New York that same Christmas. After trying it out, it felt the same as the Mia2, except the Mia had no indication lights, and no pulses to time your duration on each part of your face. Personally speaking, none of those things matter, therefore I returned my Mia2 and have since been stuck with this one. The brush you see here, is not the one that came with the system. This is the deep-pore brush head, it has longer bristles, and I love it much more than the one that came with the system, which was pink. 

The reason I am writing this post is that, I seriously doubt the safety of this brush used on skin everyday. This is an absolute exfoliating tool. According to the company, you can use this twice in one day! Really? I used this product once a day for about a year, my face was constantly red and inflamed. I rarely get breakouts, therefore those redness I could see underneath my skin was bugging me way too much. During this entire year, I did not associate the redness with this. It gave me baby smooth skin everyday, therefore I kept using it without wondering about it. But those redness that looked like inflammation lurked underneath was very annoying. I tried to change my routine, tried to change products, nothing worked.

I had a trip about a few month later. For light packing reasons, I did not bring this with me, as I don't see it that necessary. During that month, I started to notice that my skin was getting better! I feel dead-skin forming, but I definitely see less redness as well! At the time, I still did not account my redness with this, I thought it must be the water! I thought the water here must have less of something that I must be allergic to back home. I went back after my trip, and because I was lazy, I did kept not using the brush. My skin kept its condition and did not start to become too red again. 

Then one day I was at my friend's house, and she had a Clarisonic that looked unused and kind of dirty. I asked her why, and she said she bought it when it first came out, and about a month into using it, she developed some very painful red bumps on the skin. She went to her dermatologist, and he asked her what had she changed in her recent routine. She said she had started using the Clarisonic. The dermatologist told her to stop using it immediately because it was harmful to her sensitive skin. Ever since then, it was lying there with no use. You know that moment when it all just become clear? I went online to do a bit research on this product, and sure enough, many people rave it, but also there were many people questioning it. I realized that at my age, my skin's renewal process is quite good on its own, why bother giving extra help to my skin's regeneration? I realized that because I kept exfoliating with this, my skin's layer was getting thinner and weaker, and therefore it induces inflammation to my skin.

I highly suggest that we decrease the amount of usage of this product. I now only use this about once a week, and it gives me lovely results without making me red. If you feel like your skin's renewal is not very fast, then you may increase the number of usages. But for God's sake, twice a day? I don't think so. Not even once every two days. 

I hope this helps someone out there, who uses this brush and experiences strange skin conditions for no reason. I think when new technology comes out, we should all be slightly more cautious as to what it can do for us. 

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment